Kevala is looking for a Distribution Planning Power Systems Engineer to join our growing team and results-oriented culture. This individual will inform electrical grid data structures in Kevala’s Assessor product architecture and define technical requirements for key projects as the in-house energy data and grid planning subject matter expert. If you enjoy collaborating with other professionals who believe in accelerating a clean energy future by making energy-related data meaningful, transparent and broadly accessible, we encourage you to apply.
What you will be doing
- Manage the technical product and project specifications for routing external energy data into Kevala’s Network Assessor platform.
- Internally collaborate with Kevala’s software engineering and data science teams, provide product design support via electrical system design expertise and translating client and market needs into discrete code.
- Direct design and running of power flow models on multiple platforms.
- Externally connect with clients including regulators, project developers, independent system operators, and utility planners, each with varying needs and degrees of subject matter expertise.
- Share input into project scopes of work, translating client needs to internal product and project development deliverables, actively participating in client-facing meetings, conducting research and analysis, contributing to writing reports, and delivering findings.
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience that includes familiarity with distribution interconnection and BTM DER mitigation approaches
- Electrical Engineering degree, Power Systems, or related
- Knowledgeable about energy resources including how to model and integrate varying types of:
- generation including solar and battery inverters and traditional generators
- load that includes EV chargers, building electrification, and motors
- distribution grid equipment that includes voltage regulators, capacitor banks, and load tap changers
- Experience with grid modeling tools such as Cyme, DEW, GridLab-D, and Open DSS
- Knowledgeable about AMI and SCADA and common information models to represent this data
- Process-minded to quickly establish an internal product architecture for ingesting, cleaning, managing, and updating energy data
- Comfortable working independently to break down complicated tasks into discrete deliverables and manage inputs/outputs from/to a variety of sources
- Experience in Python
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.
What you need to succeed
What will make you stand out
Where our team is located
We embrace the virtual office and are continuing to grow our team across the United States.
Who we are
Our team is passionate about decarbonizing the electric grid. We are focused on solving the challenges facing energy market participants interacting with the evolving electricity grid.
Please apply here